The following is a press release from Sen. John Hoeven’s office.
HOEVEN: ARMY CORPS FY2019 WORK PLAN PROVIDES $35 MILLION IN CONSTRUCTION FUNDING FOR PERMANENT FLOOD PROTECTION IN FARGO-MOORHEAD REGION
WASHINGTON – Senator John Hoeven today announced that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ Fiscal Year (FY) 2019 work plan includes $35 million for construction of flood protection in the Fargo-Moorhead region. As a member of the Senate Appropriations Committee on Energy and Water Development, Hoeven provided increased funding for the Corps’ construction account enabling the project to be funded in the Corps’ work plan.
Additionally, the Corps’ work plan includes $4.2 million for small water projects in Kindred and Center, North Dakota.
“This funding comes at a critical time and will help ensure the project’s procurement process and construction can move forward,” Hoeven said. “We worked hard to support the Corps’ construction account to ensure the flood protection project in the Red River Valley would receive funding. This funding, along with previous federal appropriations and local contributions will allow the Corp to complete work scheduled for this fiscal year. This includes the inlet structure south of Horace, the control structure on the Wild Rice River as well as additional design work. We’ll continue working to move the project forward to provide comprehensive protection for the region.”
Additionally, Hoeven secured provisions in the Water Resources Development Act and the Fiscal Year 2019 Energy and Water funding bill, both of which were signed into law this fall, to move forward with flood protection projects.
WATER RESOURCES DEVELOPMENT ACT
- Resolves easement issue to enable Route B: Hoeven included his provision to resolve easements on land purchased with Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funding. The senator’s provision grants the authority needed to implement Route B, the changes recommended by the joint task force convened by Governors Doug Burgum and Mark Dayton.
FISCAL YEAR 2019 ENERGY AND WATER FUNDING BILL
As a member of the Senate Energy and Water Development Appropriations Committee, Hoeven secured the following priorities in the bill:
- Increases the Corps’ construction account by $150 million to ensure priorities like flood protection in the Red River Valley continue to receive funding.
- Implements the Water Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act (WIFIA) Program to provide states and local governments with low-cost, flexible funding sources when building water infrastructure.
- The legislation directs the Corps to complete a detailed plan for implementing WIFIA and provides up to $6 million to support WIFIA program implementation. This aligns with Hoeven’s legislation to extend the WIFIA program.
- Ensures fair treatment of public-private partnership (P3) projects and others that use alternative financing methods during the Corps’ cost-benefit analysis, including flood protection in the Fargo-Moorhead region.
- The bill requires the Corps to develop a policy on how it will evaluate P3s and incorporate them into its budget.
- Hoeven also helped advance a provision in the Senate-passed Financial Services and General Government funding bill ensuring the Corps can fund P3s.
- Hoeven: USACE Fiscal 2019 Work Plan Provides $35 Million in Construction Funding — November 21, 2018
- From Sen. John Hoeven: Senate WRDA & Water Funding Legislation will help Advance Comprehensive Flood Protection in the Red River Valley — August 9, 2018
- America’s Water Infrastructure Act of 2018 signed into law by President; Legislation resolves easement issue for Project — November 7, 2018
- Hoeven: Assistant Secretary of the Army Approves PPA Renegotiated for Red River Valley Flood Protection with Increased Federal Participation of $750 Million — March 5, 2019