Monthly Update from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Presented via email from the USACE for the June 27, 2019 Diversion Board of Authority meeting.
Diversion Inlet Structure Construction
A preconstruction conference was held on 19 June. Dewatering will begin week of 8 July and continue for 3-4 weeks. Anticipated schedule:
- 2019: Dewatering, test pile program, complete channel excavation. 2020: Foundations/site work.
- 2021: Concrete piers/abutments. Control building.
- 2022: Install bridge deck, gates, and operating machinery.
- 2023: Paint gates, seed.
- 2024: Turf established.
Wild Rice River Structure Construction
Final Plans and Specs were completed May 1, 2019. MnDNR phase approval received on 18 June. NDSWC permit decision pending. The Request for Proposals (RFP) likely to be issued in early July 2019 with a 45-day bidding period. Contract award is anticipated in October 2019.
Red River Structure Design
Detailed design has started. A physical model (1:40 scale) study to verify flows and design downstream scour protection is being conducted by USACE ERDC Coastal and Hydraulics Laboratory, Vicksburg, MS. Approximately a 15 month effort with alternative design runs anticipated in Jan-June 2020 and a final report due NLT Aug 2020. The design schedule is being developed with goal of awarding a construction contract in late 2021. Learn more about ERDC (Engineering Research and Development Center) at https://www.erdc.usace.army.mil/About/.
Southern Embankment – Plan B Design
Detailed design, incorporating the Plan B alignment, is ongoing. Geotechnical borings to begin in July 2019 and continue as additional access is secured by the Diversion Authority.
Cultural Resources Mitigation – Diversion Channel Sites
Completing further investigations of two archaeological sites along the Diversion Channel this summer. Our contractor began field work in June and will return the week of 8 July. The results will determine if further excavation will be required. A media opportunity is being planned for the week of 17 July.
Federal Construction Placement Schedule – June 2019
See enclosure.. Outlines placement/resources required to match assumed diversion channel completion. Will continue updating as actual funding and P3 schedule is defined.
- Hoeven: USACE Fiscal 2019 Work Plan Provides $35 Million in Construction Funding — November 21, 2018
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Studies — January 29, 2019
- USACE: Corps of Engineers completes Environmental Assessment for latest changes to the Fargo-Moorhead flood risk management Project — March 4, 2019
- Project Update – May 2019 — May 31, 2019